St James' R C Church
This church houses a chime of 9 bells (Bass Bell 24 cwts), and a slow swinging Bourdon Bell weighing approximately 30 cwts. All the bells, their steel frame and fittings date from the 1930’s, and are the work of Matthew Obyrne of Dublin. The concrete floor on which the installation sits has become unsafe, and must be removed and replaced.
As a sub-contractor to Mather & Ellis (Stonemasons) Taylor’s has been asked to remove the bells while the building work is undertaken. Once the new floor is in place, the bells and bell frame will be sandblasted clean, and the frame painted. The bells will then be hoisted back into the tower and the Ellacombe chiming system reinstated. A decision about the rehanging of the bourdon bell on an arched headstock will be made later.
Dismantling work has begun, and the trap doors opened to allow a scaffold platform to be erected. The bells will be lowered once this is place.