St Michael & All Angels
A complete restoration has been completed on this ancient 18 cwt ring of six. The back five are the work of William III & Richard II Purdue and date from 1663, and it was known that at least the 3rd & 6th bells were cracked. All the bells were subjected to dye testing to reveal the extent of the cracking, and a number of them were repaired, and had their crowns and sound bows strengthened by specialist bronze welding. No tuning of the bells was permitted. All new fittings were manufactured and the bells were then rehung in their existing Warner 1903 cast iron bell frame, which was restored.