Leigh on Sea, Essex.
Our Lady of Lourdes & St Joseph R C Church.
This church houses a swing chime set of eight bells, largest 18 cwts. The octave of bells was cast in France by Paccard in 1926 and were originally swung using ropes. Taylor’s was commissioned to install new gudgeons to the front five bell head stocks in 2004, and to install motors for electric action. An order has now been placed to lower the three largest bells and remove the gudgeons from their head stocks and engineer replacements. These bells will then be rehung with new bearings and cast iron bearing housings.
The bells have been lowered and the necessary parts are at Loughborough.