Shildon, County Durham
St John's Parish Church
A major maintenance scheme is to be carried out on this classic Taylor 16 cwt ring of eight that date from 1902. All the bells will be lowered into their pits and their fittings will be removed. The headstocks will be returned to Loughborough for the replacement of their gudgeons and for the fitting of new ball bearings in cast iron bearing housings. The clappers, crown staples, wheels and roller boxes will be fully restored at Loughborough, and a new set of traditional stays and sliders manufactured to replace the existing “Hastings” stay mechanisms, with traditional sliders being manufactured and installed. All the bell wheels will be returned to Loughborough fo new soling and shrouding to be fitted.
Work on this project will began in the tower on 14th October. The headstocks have been restored and returned, and the bell wheels are in the process of restoration.