The Parish Church of St John the Evangelist.
The P.C.C. of this Somerset church has placed an order for a major restoration of their bells’ installation. The tower houses a ring of six (Tenor 12 cwts.) which are the work of the Purdue Foundry (1608 & 1653) with a treble added by Mears & Stainbank in 1935. The bells hang in a composite two teir cast iron and hardwood bell frame made by Thomas Doble in 1897 with a 1935 M & S extension.
The bells and frame will be removed from the tower and brought back to Loughborough. The cast iron frame sides will be cleaned by sand blasting and used in the rebuilt and redesigned bell frame which will have a galvanised steel base & top frame – bells 1, 2, 3 & 4 above, 5 & 6 below. At present the roping of the bells is poor and will be redesigned to give straighter drops. Conservation work will be carried out on the bells but no tuning will take place, and all new ringing fittings will be manufactured before the bells are rehung.
The bells and frame have been removed from the tower and are at Loughborough.
The "A" frames have been cleaned by sandblasting.
The bells have been conserved and their cast-in crown staples have been removed.
The rebuilt two tier bell frame is now under construction.
The steel parts of the frame have been sent away for galvanising.
All the bell fittings have been manufactured.