The Guild Chapel of the Holy Cross
Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire
The “Great Bell” of this mediaeval Guild Chapel was cast as a curfew bell and is the work of Hugh Watts. It was cast on 10th July 1633 and weighs a massive 27 cwts. 3 qrs. 2 lbs. A new electro-magnetic tolling hammer and an automated controller unit will be manufactured and fitted to the bell so that it can continue to sound out the hours and daily curfew across the town.
The "Great Bell" of this mediaeval chapel was cast on 10th July 1633 and is the work of Hugh Watts. It weighs 27 cwts 3 qrs 2 lbs. Work has now been completed to install an automatic electro-magnetic chiming hammer with programmable unit so that the bell can sound the hours and the curfew once more. Work to provide a motorised swing chiming system will follow at a later date.