OUR FOUNDRY BELL PITS!

We have two large pits under the Works floor where we store bells that are with us for long periods – sometimes many decades – some bell fittings may also be stored if they are destined for re-use. It is rare for the pits to be opened – usually only when a bell needs retrieving – so this was a good photo opportunity when one was opened recently. The pits are more than 12 feet deep and have been useful in past times when large carillons have been being built – the clavier and transmission have been sited below the main structure. The photo shows the 1938 Taylor bell fittings from the 8 cwt six that used to hang at Woodlesford, Leeds- these, and the bells have been stored at Loughborough for many years awaiting a new home.