top of page
JG-bellfoundry-019.jpg

Lichfield, Staffordshire, St Mary's Church - The Hub.

taylorbellswebsite

Updated: Mar 21



The former church of St Mary in the City Centre is now and Arts & Heritage Centre called The Hub. Its tower houses an 18 cwt ring of eight cast by Abraham II Rudhall dating from 1726 & 1734. The bells were last rehung in a new oak frame by Mears & Stainbank in 1875 and then with new fittings by James Barwell of Birmingham in 1908.

An order has now been placed for major maintenance work to keep the bells in good ringing order. The rope roller boxes will all be removed to Loughborough for complete refurbishment, and new floor and ceiling rope rollers will also be manufactured and fitted to improve the rope circle. A new bell wheel for the 2nd bell will be manufactured and fitted, together with a new timber shafted clapper for the tenor bell. The oak bell frame will be strengthened to complete the work.


  • This project in underway.

  • Rot in parts of the wooden bell frame has extended the scope of this project.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Youtube

© 2023 John Taylor & Company | Company No. 7032766 | Powered and secured by Wix

Photography © Tommy Pengilley, David Potter, Mike Spencer, Katelyn Collins

bottom of page