Dundalk, County Louth, Republic of Ireland.
The Monastery of St. Joseph.
The tower of this monastery houses a heavy chime of bells, with a bass bell weighing 25 cwts. Originally cast as a diatonic ten with two semi tones by Matthew O’Byrne of Dublin in 1898 this chime was destroyed by fire in 1920. Taylor’s was commissioned to recast ten of the bells, and this was completed in 1921, with the largest semi tone and the treble omitted – presumably on cost grounds.
Being close to the sea, the salt in the air has badly corroded the steel bell frame, and it is now no longer structurally sound. All the bells and the frame will be removed from the tower and brought back to Loughborough. The bells will be cleaned by sand blasting, and the two missing bells from 1920 will be cast to complete a chime of twelve once more. A new galvanised steel bell frame will be manufactured. The clappers and crown staples will be restored and the transmission restored or renewed as appropriate. The clavier will be completely rebuilt and extended to accommodate the extra bells, and will be reinstated in the tower with a new manual transmission. New electro-magnetic chiming hammers and a programmable Apollo Unit will be manufactured and installed, and this will also be connected to a piano keyboard in the church to allow all the bells to be chimed remotely. New clock dial mechanisms will be manufactured and installed.
The entire installation will then be returned to St Joseph’s and installed to serve for at least another century.
Our bell hangers travel to Ireland to begin removing the bells on Monday 18th July.
Work removing the bells and their frame and fittings is underway.
The bells have been delivered to Loughborough.
The bells have been cleaned by sandblasting.
The roller bars, clappers and crown staples have been cleaned by sandblasting.
The clavier has been dismantled and cleaned and new components are being manufactured before it is reassembled.
The moulds for the two new bells are being made.