The Cathedral Church of The Blessed Virgin Mary & St Chad.
The Dean & Chapter of this Cathedral have placed an order for the removal of their service bell from the central tower for conservation and rehanging. The “Tantony” bell dates circa 1500 and will be conserved and renovated. As part of the conservation process the indents of the clapper on the soundbow will be bronze welded to protect the bell from risk of cracking. New traditional fittings will be manufactured for swing chiming. A new hardwood headstock, carved to retain the bells’ canons, will be supplied together with new plate gudgeons, ball bearings, clapper, crown staple, swinging lever and bell rope. The bell will then be rehung in its existing hardwood framework which will be re-secured to the structure of the central tower.
The bell has been removed and is at the Foundry.
This bell has been sent away for specialist bronze welding.
Bronze welding has been completed.
The bell has been conserved.
The wooden bell frame has been repaired.