Milton Abbot, Devon.
St Constantine's Parish Church.
The PCC of this church has placed an order for a major restoration of their bells. Their 13 cwt ring of six dates from 1769 and is the work of J III, C IV & W Pennington & Co, and at present hangs in an oak bell frame dating from 1902. The bells, fittings and framework will be removed from the tower to enable conservation and restoration work to begin. A new belfry floor will be installed, and the tower will be rewired. A new galvanised steel bell frame will be designed and manufactured. The bells will be conserved and tuned, and mainly new ringing fittings will be manufactured, including canon retaining cast iron headstocks. A new rope guide will be manufactured and installed and the bells hung in their new frame to complete the project.
N.B. No cleaning of the bells has been agreed with the Parish and Diocese.
Planning for this work is underway prior to the removal of the bells shortly.
These bells have been removed and are at the Foundry.
Conservation work is underway.
The bells are in the tuning shop.
Conservation work to the bells and their cast in iron crown staples have been removed.
The new canon retaining headstocks have been cast and had their gudgeons and bearings fitted.
The wheels are being restored.
Clappers and crown staples are being manufactured.
Work on the new bell frame is now complete.
Installation in the tower nears completion.
The hanging of this ring of bells has commenced week beginning 25th April.
All is ready for the bell frame to be galvanised and then dispatched to Milton Abbot.
Final fitting out of bell components in the bell frame before it is sent away for galvanising.