West Hanningfield, Essex
The Parish Church of St Mary & St Edward.
The P.C.C. of this church has placed an order for the re-hanging of their ancient ring of four for full circle ringing. The ring of four bells (tenor 7 cwts.) is the work of Miles III Graye of Colchester, and dates from 1676. The ancient oak steeple structure dates from 1383 – 1399, and the bell frame is part of the wooden steeple and dates circa 1600. After structural assessment by Taylor’s and Adrian Dempster it has been determined that the structure can be strengthened to contain the forces generated by the bells being rung in full circle. The bells have removed from the tower so that the strengthening can begin – this will be carried out by a company specializing in hardwood structures.
The bells will be conserved at Loughborough and all new ringing fittings will be manufactured for them. No tuning of the bells will be allowed. Rehanging will complete the work.
This ring of four bells has been lowered from the tower and transported to Loughborough.
The new canon retaining headstocks have been cast.
Conservation work to the bells has been completed.
New seating pads have been cast on the bells' crowns.
New cast iron headstocks have been fitted to the bells.